Monday, July 9, 2007

Tarator

Whew! That introductory post was a bit tl;dr, wasn't it? Sorry.

Now that that's out of the way, here's a recipe I made this evening. It's wonderful in hot weather, because it requires no cooking and is cooling to eat.

This is a Bulgarian dish called Tarator. A couple of Bulgarian colleagues taught me how to make it, when I lived in Monterrey, Mexico, in 2000-2002. The garlic is apparently a variation that is preferred in the eastern city of Burgas, where one of my friends originated. I like it, so I use it. The walnuts were pecans when they taught me, but walnuts were not common in Mexico, so it's possible that they were the intended nut all along. Also, they're much cheaper, and have lots of Omega-6's in them.



Proportions are approximate. Feel free to eyeball it. Sorry that they're all in English units.

1/2 of a 1 qt container of plain yogurt
about 3-4 Tbs dried koper or dill weed
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 tsp sea salt, to taste
1 medium-sized cucumber, peeled
small handful (1/2 cup?) walnuts, chopped coarsely
cold water

I usually just mix this in a 1-qt plastic container. Fill it up about halfway with yogurt, then add koper or dill, minced garlic, and 1 tsp salt. Stir. Cut the cucumber into small pieces (I use a paring knife, cutting right above the container so the pieces fall in). Stir, making sure to distribute the cucumber as evenly as possible. Add walnuts and stir again. Add a little bit of water, maybe 1/4 cup, and stir, then check consistency. Add more water and salt as desired. I usually end up adding enough water to fill to near the top of the container.

Flavors meld with time, so I recommend letting your "soup" stand for about 1 hr before serving. Depending on freshness of cucumber and yogurt, this should keep at least a few days in the fridge, tightly covered.

Много добре!

No comments: