Monday, July 9, 2007

Introduction

I love to cook.

I grew up cooking, because my mother invited my sister and me into the kitchen with her, and when I became a vegetarian at age almost-14, she 'invited' me to cook all my own meals, if I wasn't going to have what she and Dad were having. (My sister was in college by then.)

When I was 25, I was diagnosed with a mild resistance to wheat; I changed my diet somewhat, but really kept 'cheating' by eating cookies, cake, fresh-baked bread, Krispy Kremes … Within the past few years, I've reduced my gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats) intake dramatically, and finally entirely, as my sensitivity has increased.

I enjoy walking, swimming, and riding my bike; all three of these tend to take back-seat to my other favorite activities of reading, watching my TiVo/Netflix entertainment, and LiveJournaling. And have I mentioned cooking?

First, a little (more) about me: I'm 32, as of this writing, and I recently bought a house in Rhode Island. I'm single and live alone, and carry the mortgage alone. I've been playing the oboe for nearly 25 years, and currently freelance professionally and give private lessons, in addition to teaching at a girls' independent school, mostly in the high-school division.

I have never had an eating disorder. I am neither thin nor extremely heavy, although I am definitely on the high side of what the BMI considers my "ideal" weight. I may even be quite a bit on the high side, depending whom you ask: some charts would classify me as "overweight," others as "obese." But if you happen to spot me on the street while I'm waiting for my bus, my nose in a book or an NPR podcast in my earphones, you'd be more likely to think of me as pudgy, or maybe stocky. Oh, and short. :-)

To me, this is beside the point. I'm trying to love the way I look, because I'm pretty much stuck with it. Despite what popular culture would have us believe, I might start exercising 30-60 minutes every day, eat perfectly balanced and portioned meals with only small, healthy snacks between, and never lose a pound. The point is, I know I've been eating unhealthy foods in unhealthy quantities, and spending too much time on the couch.

There is nothing dramatic or angst-ridden here. I refuse to flagellate myself over a slice of cake, or to deny myself all the foods I find yummiest. I'm simply a (relatively) normal person, with the (relatively) normal food issues that one tends to have, having grown up in the Western world.

And I've got a few habits I'd like to change.

***

Let's review: I'm a new, single homeowner, living on the schedule and salary of an almost-but-not-quite-full-time private school teacher plus freelance oboist/teacher, so budget and time are huge issues. I have a diet restricted by choice (vegetarian, ovo-lacto) and by health (gluten intolerance). Time is much less of an issue during summer, and it is no accident that I'm starting this now. I also find a new home to be a good opportunity for new habits.

Therefore, my eating goals need to be:
1. staying within my dietary restrictions
2. keeping my grocery budget reasonable
3. eating more naturally gluten-free foods, and fewer gluten-free substitutes (like pasta and bread), which seem to have a less-healthy effect on my diet and are very expensive
4. eating out as infrequently as possible while still having a social life

I'm also interested in:
5. getting as much of my food from local sources as possible
6. cooking from scratch as often as possible
7. experimenting more with baking gluten-free foods from scratch, understanding that this will create sweet/rich treats in the house and the above-mentioned gluten-free substitutes, so sharing and portion-control will be key
8. eventually growing some of my own produce
9. composting (note: most of it would have to go elsewhere; my backyard is about 1/8 acre, or 1/20 ha)

Psychologically, I'd like to:
10. train myself to enjoy fresh, healthy foods as much as I enjoy sweets and processed snacks
11. break the habit of emotional eating
12. develop a non-adversarial relationship with food, including occasional sweets and processed snacks
13. get comfortable enough with all of the above that I spend less time thinking about food

Also, there is the all-important:
14. get into the habit of getting more exercise, more regularly

***

What will be here? Mostly recipes/accounts of foods I have eaten and enjoyed. Other food-related topics will also probably appear, and hopefully exercise as I get into it. My approach is to understand that I need to change gradually if I'm going to stick with it, which may mean attacking only one or two goals at a time.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Miss M,

Thank you so much! Your blog was a big part of my inspiration for starting this.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! This is inspiring indeed -- I've been needing to make a similar initiative for a long time now, though I'm neither vegetarian nor gluten-free. I'm looking forward to trying some of your recipes. I love the photos!