Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Breakfast

Last Saturday, I went to a farmers' market for one of the first times ... definitely the first time I've gone alone. Predictably, I went a little overboard, got a little overwhelmed and carried away. Among other things, I came home with a pound of fresh spinach AND a ginormous bag of salad greens. Add to that the fact that I'm teaching this week at a program that provides lunch, and I'm eating salad three meals a day just to keep ahead of the wilting.

Yesterday, I had a spinach salad, consisting just of a huge pile of rinsed, torn up, fresh spinach, a drizzle of apple cider vinegar, and a few thin shaves of 75%-reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Also a glass of water and, when it was ready, a small bowl of brown rice.

Today, I'm a bit sick of salad. So I've gone back to an old favorite: plain yogurt (about 8 oz), topped with a small handful of raw almonds and a drizzle of local honey (bought in my hometown, which I suppose makes it my hometown honey!). YUM.



I'll probably end up having some salad before I head over to work, just out of obligation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks good. Often when it's warm out and I'm too tired to cook, I have a bowl of sliced berries (or other fresh fruit -- or sometimes frozen fruit that I nuke for a few minutes) topped with plain yogurt or cottage cheese and high-fiber cereal and/or nuts. It's a great quick summer meal.