Thursday, July 12, 2007

Spinach and basil egg-white scramble

I had a performance tonight, in a faculty recital for a summer camp where I'm teaching this week. It was the first time that I'd performed a solo (not as part of a chamber or larger ensemble) since ... maybe my master's recital in 2000? Wow. It went really well, fortunately, but I was very nervous all day and indeed all week.

When I know I'm going to need my strength, I tend to turn to eggs. Tonight, I decided to give egg whites a chance. I haven't really liked them scrambled, only hard-boiled, but I hoped that adding enough mix-ins would improve the situation. I washed and chopped the last of my farmers' market basil and not-at-all-the-last of my farmers' market spinach, and also mixed in a little garlic, salt and pepper, and some grated pecorino toscano from my Federal Hill foray yesterday.



Unfortunately, I'd forgotten how salty the cheese is when I added the salt, but fortunately, I had some GF rosemary beer bread from my friend N., which made a perfect accompaniment. (The sweetness of the berry punch I was drinking also provided a good balance.)

Conclusion? I'll definitely try this dish again later in the summer, but if I use a similar cheese, I probably won't add any additional salt. And I'll do a better job of separating the eggs: a little yolk ended up in there, after all.

No comments: