Thursday, July 12, 2007

Salads ... and salads.

A few weeks ago, my parents and I drove from Massachusetts/Rhode Island to the Florida panhandle for our annual family reunion. For me, the trip means two main things: (1) a valuable opportunity to keep in touch with my cousins, most of whom live more than a thousand miles from me, and (2) very few good food options. It starts, of course, on the road, where lunch tended to consist of a Wendy's side salad and a plain baked potato. Don't get me wrong: Wendy's salads tend to be decently fresh and crisp, but they also tend to consist mostly of that tasteless, nutrient-lean, pale-green stuff known as iceberg lettuce.

When I make a salad for myself, the story is quite different:



I like to buy a mix of different lettuces/greens, then adorn them simply, in this case with a few shaves of that 75%-reduced-fat cheddar I've been enjoying so much, a smattering of walnuts, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkling of sea salt and freshly ground pepper.



It looked so good, even my cat wanted to check it out!

Hey, Charcoal: what do you think about becoming a vegetarian?



... yeah, that's what I thought you'd say.

Well, to quote my dad, "More for me!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

::lol::

Always surprised that Charcoal is more interested in spider plants than lettuce...

-N.