Monday, July 23, 2007

Spinach-pecorino Chebe twists

This is more a method than a recipe; a lot of things didn't go exactly as planned, and I had to do a lot of fiddling. But the outcome was YUMMY.

Here's what I did:

Start with a package of Chebe focaccia mix. Preheat oven and mix as directed.

Divide the dough into two parts. Add an additional 1 Tbs milk and about 2 Tbs grated pecorino toscano cheese (or other pecorino or parmesan) to one part, and set aside. Add about 1/4 cup steamed, chopped fresh spinach to the other part.



Here's where it got dicey: the spinach wouldn't combine with the dough in my mixer, and when I went to knead it in by hand, I discovered that the dough was WAY too sticky. So, I pulled out my bag of tapioca flour and started adding, bit by bit. I added quite a few times, and quit while the dough was still pretty sticky, because I know Chebe isn't as good when it's too dry.

Next, I divided each dough ball into 12 smaller balls (see above). I then picked up a cheese-dough ball and rolled it into a thin 'worm' between my palms, then did the same with a spinach-dough ball and set it beside the first. I twisted them together, gently; they stuck easily, and were pretty delicate.



I repeated the process with six more pairs of balls, because that's as many as would fit on my pan.



I froze the rest of the dough for later.

As suggested on the package, I baked the twists at 375°F for 25 minutes.



And, I ate the first one with a little olive oil and some wine. Yum!

2 comments:

Sea said...

I am so excited by all of your posts- this is fabulous. I love using chebe in my own recipes too. You should consider submitting this recipe to the chebe site- they will link to your blog and you could get some more visitors this way. I will be trying this recipe, no question. Mmm, spinach!
-sea
(I've got a bunch of chebe recipes at my site too, at
http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/?cat=17)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I wouuld like to know if we can use your recipes on our (Chebe) website with a direct link to your blog. They are creative and the photos are great. Please let me know. Thank you. dreed@chebe.com